Thanks to the enormous amount of knowledge that LEC has now gathered, the behaviour of the leopards and lions and their interactions with the local population can be well assessed. Combined with our educational projects, this results in a holistic approach to problems.
What data are collected to better understand the way of life of leopards and lions?
- Satellite telemetry data for analyses of movement patterns
- Tracking and interpretation of spoor by the San to document movement patterns and behaviour
- Direct observations of behaviours of the large predators
- Analyses of prey spectrum by means of spoor and faeces analyses as well as prey remains
- Photos of spot patterns on leopards and whisker spots on lions to create identification guides allowing for mark and recapture data to be collected
- Demography data to understand social structures
- Analyses of tissue samples for genetic information of the study animals
- Monitoring of health status by observations and tissue analyses in the laboratory
- Supervision of ordered translocations and evaluation of the resulting effects on the system
- Surveys of stakeholders / interested parties
We are working closely with various partners in our research project to ensure the best quality and standards.